SUU ECON 6100 Blog

This blog was initiated by Dave Tufte, at the suggestion of students. It is a forum for SUU M.B.A. and M.Acc. students who have taken ECON 6100 to comment about the usefulness of this class for their other classes, degree, or career.


Only students who took ECON 6100 in 2004 were invited to post their thoughts here. There was no quid pro quo in that invitation.


I started this blog because students told me that this class is very worthwhile. Unfortunately, as an elective, this class does not have much of a constituency among the faculty to help guarantee that it will continue to be offered on a regular basis. I intend to show this blog to other School of Business faculty to make a case in support of this class.


Please do not view this opportunity as a way to support Dr. Tufte - I am only 1 of 3 people to have taught this class, and it is only 1 of 5 M.B.A. classes that I can reasonably be expected to teach at SUU. Also, don't use this as a forum to denigrate other professors or other classes.


Here are some suggestions (please feel free to expand upon this list). Was this class was more or less valuable than others you took? What did you learn that was so useful that you didn't learn in other classes? If you had to choose between this class and others that you took, how often would this class win (for example, ECON 6100 was better than half of my graduate classes)?


Please title your posts with either your name, or "anonymous".

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Travis Sheffield

I truly enjoyed the ECON 6100 course taught by Dr. Tufte @ SUU. As other students have mentioned, the skills acquired in this class are extremely valuable to any business professional.

Previous to taking the class, I felt fairly comfortable in Excel and often functioned as the 'Resident Expert' in the office. I am now VERY confident accepting a myriad of data analysis projects that may have given me heartburn in the past.

I would have to agree that taking this course earlier in the MBA degree would have greatly benefited my performance in my other courses, but just take the course as soon as you can.

But be warned...after taking this class you will start noticing spreadsheets everywhere that are not well designed and you will have an urge to fix them. Just make sure that your work looks professional and is easily understood by a random user. It will increase your credibility, make you a more competitive candidate in the job market, and a more powerful entrepreneur, business owner, or consultant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home